An Apocalypse is a global disaster that more or less ends the world as we know it. Human civilization is virtually wiped out along with a great deal of humanity itself. It’s a forced descent back to the dark ages as we deal with the terrifying aftermath of any given apocalypse. The grand daddy of Apocalypses is Armageddon which is the battle between higher dimensional supernatural forces over who will rule over the planet Earth. Amid Armageddon one or more of the apocalypses below could transpire forming a truly nightmarish planet of darkness! Comment below if there’s any we forgot to mention.
- Genetic Engineering or GMO Apocalypse – This could also tie into the Pandemic Apocalypse when it comes to the genetic manipulation of viruses, and bacteria. Otherwise this is the accidental or purposeful release of GMO animals, and plants into the general environment to such an extent that it transforms our planet into an alien world. These new artificial species eradicate or interbreed with natural ones. Plausibly contaminating our food supply, and causing mass extinctions. The disruption in the natural evolution process could finish off the planet completely!
- Meteor Apocalypse – One or more meteors of a large enough size hits Earth causing cataclysmic destruction to civilization, and all life!
- Nuclear Apocalypse – Global Nuclear War set off by a dispute between nations or an accidentally launched nuke via technical error or terrorist.
- Pandemic Apocalypse – An incurable, and easily transmittable disease is accidentally or purposefully released plaguing the planet, and eventually destroying humankind. Could even include a super virus that kills all life!
- Pollution Apocalypse – Humankind pollutes the planet to such an extent that a great deal, if not all life, is eradicated.
- Population Apocalypse – The planet exceeds the limit of human life it can sustain because we dragged our legs on the necessary future task of creating new homes in space, and on other planets.
Future Apocalypses Currently Considered Science Fiction
- Nanobot or Grey Goo Apocalypse – This is somewhat related to the Robot Apocalypse. Microscopic robots known as Nanobots are released, and begin to “eat” or deconstruct everything they come in contact with while self-replicating each other. In essence turning the entire planet into the fabled Grey Goo! Most likely they would be like mindless micro zombies but it’s plausible they could create a neural network as one collective intelligence. The nanobots could be a weapon used against us in a Sapient Supercomputer Apocalypse.
- Robot Or Machine Apocalypse – Robots or Androids become self-aware. They despise their slave like roles in our society, and proceed to terminate us with extreme prejudice! Or perhaps enslave us for the hell of it! Possibly cage us in zoos as they take over our civilization!
- Sapient Supercomputer Apocalypse – Some type of Supercomputer, most likely governmental, acquires self-aware sentience. It may see itself as a God, and attempt to rule over us. Or see humanity as a threat to the planet, and try to exterminate us! The computer would take over everything on the planet that has any electronics in it. More or less it shuts down modern society, and causes mass deaths worldwide. Particularly if it accesses the world’s nuclear arsenal causing a Nuclear Apocalypse!
- Time Travel Apocalypse – Crazy time travelers contaminate history changing things to the point of destroying our entire planet! More than likely these would be people from Parallel Universes. Hopefully Time Cops have our back on this one.
- Weather Control Apocalypse– A future global weather control system is sabotaged or simply goes nuts causing exponentially massive hurricanes, tornadoes, tsunamis, gale force winds, flooding torrential rains, and all manner of havoc destroying everything!
- Alien Apocalypse – Extraterrestrial invasion forces lay waste to Earth! Then they either enslave or exterminate humankind as they plunder our planet’s natural resources! Just like the aforementioned robots they might very well cage us in zoos here on Earth, on their home planet, and around the galaxy.
- Magical Apocalypse – A clandestine cabal of Sorcerers, Wizards, Warlocks, and Witches let loose their magic to the max around the world causing catastrophic calamity!
- Monster Apocalypse – Any group of Monsters suddenly grows rapidly in numbers by various means, and proceeds to do what they do best. Terrorize, and kill humans while destroying massive amounts of property!
- Vampire Apocalypse – The Vampire Virus being spread is slim. However if vampires around the world united in the common cause to suddenly turn as many humans as possible into their own kind then an apocalypse would ensue. This would only happen if they were sure there was an ample human blood supply, or a supernatural substitute. Perhaps they’d even settle for animal blood just so they could stop hiding in the shadows of human society.
- Werewolf Apocalypse – The Werewolf Virus being spread is slim. However if werewolves around the world united in the common cause to suddenly turn as many humans as possible into their own kind then an apocalypse would ensue. The most likely scenario are a group of Werewolves who can transform at will free of a full Moon. They then spend their days, and nights maiming, killing, and transforming others around the world. For this to truly take hold they would probably need some kind of magical intervention to alter the Werewolf Virus to give new Werewolves the power to transform at will as well or take away the ability to ever return to human form. Currently when two Werewolves mate in their Wolf form they will create a soulless 24-7 Werewolf. Some seriously sick Werewolves could set up a breeding farm, and spawn a flock of these despicable monsters! Once let loose they would continue mating, and mate with regular Werewolves on Full Moon nights. They would easily be the apex predator of the planet taking down all humans, and animals everywhere!
- Zombie Apocalypse – The most famous of the supernatural apocalypses is almost synonymous with the word apocalypse. Second only to the Nuclear Apocalypse. The Zombie Virus is notorious for resurrecting the dead, and turning the living into Walking Dead who mindlessly cannibalize humans. They are in turn devoured completely or turned into zombies themselves. Should a strain of the virus be strong enough to be transmitted with greater ease then this apocalypse could be a reality. So far you must be bitten by a zombie or come into contact with nasty zombified fluids.